2017 is an exciting year to be involved in traditional karate. After the International Olympic Committee admitted karate into the Olympics 2020 to take place in Tokyo, world class athletes started training even harder and seeking more comraderie and challenge.
Introduction to Karate in the Tokyo 2020 Games by the Internationnal Olympic Committee [article]
Beyond dreams of the Olympics, there are many benefits of sport karate.
- Training karate intensely with coaches and mentors improves speed, agility, endurance, and mental fortitude. Elite athletes learn to do sustained hard work, follow directions, take constructive criticism, figure out their own and other opponents' weaknesses, and perform under stress in ALL aspects of life. The team environment is fun, supportive, and unified.
- Each competition provides valuable experience in demonstrating your karate skills and competitive edge, exposes you to AAU rules, and forms new friendships!
- Road to the 2017 AAU National Championships: You need to qualify at only one event below but you will want to gain additional experience competing against new opponents and under pressure.
- March 18, 2017 | Charlotte | AAU Karate NC State Championships & National Qualifier
- April 1, 2017 | Richmond | AAU Karate VA State Championships & National Qualifier
- April 29, 2017 | Columbia | AAU Karate SC State Championships & National Qualifier
- May 20, 2017 | location in NC to be announced | Southeast US SuperRegional Championships & National Qualifier
Road to the 2017 AAU National Events
THE POST-SEASON! THE NATIONAL EVENTS!
*new* July 31, 2016 West Coast AAU Junior Olympic Games, Los Angeles, CA [http://ww3.aausports.org/Sports/AAUWestCoastJuniorOlympicGames.aspx]