How we stop bullying
Bullying can be physical, mental or emotional. Bullying includes:
- Physical violence including fighting, pushing, bumping, or unwanted touching
- Threats and intimidation
- Taunts, name-calling and put-downs
- Exclusion from a group
Youth who are being bullied often exhibit some warning signs. [Source: Violence PreventionWorks.org] These students may:
- Have torn, damaged, or missing pieces of clothing, books, or other belongings
- Have unexplained cuts, bruises, and scratches from fighting
- Have few, if any, friends with whom he or she spends time
- Seem afraid of going to school, walking to and from school, riding the school bus, or taking part in organized activities (such as clubs or sports) with peers
- Take a long "illogical" route when walking to or from school
- Lose interest in doing school work, or suddenly begin to do poorly in school
- Appear sad, moody, teary, or depressed when he or she comes home
- Complain frequently of headaches, stomachaches, or other physical problems
- Have frequent bad dreams, or trouble sleeping
- Experience a loss of appetite
- Appear anxious and suffer from low self-esteem
How you can help if your child is being bullied
- Listen, get the facts, and assess your child's feelings. Let your child know that it's not his or her fault. Praise your child for discussing the bullying.
- Find out what your child feels he or she needs to feel safe.
- Communicate with a parent, teacher, or authority where the bullying occurred. Let them know the who, what, when and where. Let school officials contact the other child's parents.
- Talk regularly with your child and school to assess the conditions and his/her feelings.
- Encourage and support your child in making friends.
Let Best Karate help. The first rule in Karate is to "AVOID OR STOP CONFLICT." We can discuss bullying privately or in class and show that bullying is a common problem that has positive solutions. We do teach communication skills to prevent bullying and help people to speak up for themselves and for others.
- Call us at 919-844-5555. Come observe a class. Click here for Class Schedule.